Tuesday, July 14, 2009

dom, slodki dom


I took my first quiz this morning, so I have a moment between classes and trips to the Centrum to show you around the place where I store my laptop. Dom Studenckie Piast was built by the Communist government in the 1970's to house the maximum student population with the minimum level of frill. My room is about 8x10' and would normally house two students. The bath is shared with another identical room. As you can see, it is a standard that most Americans would not enjoy. When Wayne arrives he will have another guest room and hopefully, I can at least take showers there.
The food is Polish dorm food; veggies, ham, eggs and cheese for breakfast along with tea,warm milk, bad coffee and omnipresent bread rolls. Lunch (obiad) is the main meal of the day, served family style, and it always includes soup, bread, potatoes, some form of cabbage, small amounts of a vegetable and either a very starchy vegetable or fried meat option. Dinner, (kolacje) is the evening meal. Lighter, it has a starchy salad, and either warm ham or warm egg, another meat or starchy dish, and fruit.
I am meeting Barbara at 7:30 pm to have a light lovely supper in the town square, and discuss our weekend trip to the home village of Lakta Dolna with her dad and uncle, and a visit with Eugene. She is bringing me tomatoes from her home. Home-grown Polish tomatoes will be a treat without peer!

No comments:

Post a Comment